Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Why Japanese - is that even a question?

Japanese has always held a special meaning to me since I was very little. Like many children growing up, I adored watching Saturday morning cartoons - many of which were - to my pleasant surprise, Japanese in origin (Astro Boy is adorable). It became a bonding activity with my older siblings, and to a certain extent, when I became older and started to study Japanese throughout middle school and high school, a chance to learn about a different culture and how its various aspects are manifested through language. In fact, I still remember when I went to my first cherry blossom festival in D.C. and being able to actually observe the various entertainers in kimonos and appreciate the sakura flowers which adorned the area. Japanese is challenging and really interesting - which is exactly why I love it. I'm excited to review a lot of what I may not remember (in terms of greetings, characters, etc) and hopefully gain a new perspective on the Japanese language and culture. By the end of the year, I want to be able to speak Japanese without thinking too much about what I'm trying to say - which - let's face it, is going to take a lot of practice. My classmates are extremely hardworking, so learning in my Japanese class is very fun - it's a really good working environment.

Switching back and forth between Japanese and English is a challenge, but hopefully, with enough exposure, I'll be able to overcome that. :) がんばります!

8 comments:

  1. こんいちは!  ぼくは ノートルダムの だいがくせい です。  when I was a child, ぼくも あにめを みました....dragon ball z, gundam wing, etc. でも アスツロ ボイを みませんした。

    I am excited to learn Japanese, too, even though I also find it very challenging. がんばれ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's pretty cool! I had some good memories watching the classics!
      I totally agree - にほんごは むずかしい が、とても たのしい ですよ。And thank you - I'll do my best! :)

      Delete
  2. I've been to the Cherry Blossom festival in DC! Soo much fun. And what were your favorites animes back in the day, other than astroboy? I would get up at like 5:30 every morning in elementary school just to watch Sailor Moon and Pokemon... my parents were so happy, because it meant they didn't have to drag me out of bed in the morning for school =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous that you got to go to the さくらはなみまつり!I have always wanted to go :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty! You should come down to D.C. sometime and check it out! There's so much going on - so much to appreciate. The flowers are absolutely gorgeous and they have tons of Japanese performers on the floats - everything from drummers to dancers to pageant winners. Luckily they have it every year - I think the experience gets better with every visit. :)

      Delete
    2. What month is it? I have been to DC numerous times, but only in the Summer for History Fair or Museum trips. I would love to go for this

      Delete
    3. Around March/April I would guess.
      http://dc.about.com/cs/familyactivities/a/CherryBlossom.htm

      Delete
  4. こんにちは、キディさん!私はニコールです。キディさんの日本語のクラスのClassmateです。(セレメ)

    私も子どもの時にアニメをよく見ました!そして、私も日本のぶんか(Culture)が大好きですよ。

    キディはまだアニメを見ますか?

    私は今『FMA』を見ます。いつもそのアニメを見たかったですが、時間がありません。。。でも、この夏休みにきっと見ます!

    ReplyDelete